Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Indignant Cyclist



When I wanted to start riding my cycle to office again, my mom was very hesitant. As a concerned parent, she was worried about letting me on the main roads in heavy traffic.
Me, I was hesitant too. Not because of the traffic, not because of the weather, not even because of the way people drive with total disregard to the traffic rules. I was hesitant because of “some” testosterone-filled creatures who call themselves men and who jeer at us, just because they can. (No generalisation, guys. I’m talking only about those guys who do)

Today was only my 1st day and I already went through 2 such instances. I really don’t understand who gave them the right to look and comment and whiz past us with a smirk. If you had so much guts, you would say it on the face. Would it kill you to pass by a girl and not say anything? If a guy was punched every time he dared something demeaning like this, we would have a lot of swollen faces around. This kind of behaviour truly gets to me. Kudos to the regular two-wheeler commuters who put up with this nonsense everyday. 

On the other hand are the other people on the road who have no respect for cyclists. We are people too, with a body that can bleed if injured. No one cares if we ring the bell; No one cares if it’s a cyclist on their side, they just swerve according to their wish. And if they had to brake, they look at us accusingly as though we are to be blamed for the choice of this vehicle. 

Well, excuse me for having some concern about my fitness and about the environment!

The four-wheelers don’t care about the two-wheelers, the two-wheelers don’t care about the cyclists and the pedestrians don’t care about any of the above. Well next time, when you take your vehicle please remember, if it has a minimum of two wheels it means a person is riding/driving it and if there is a person, he/she deserves respect.

8 comments:

  1. Woah! That's a lot of anger there Viju. Well written, but. Paathu poitu vaa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol ya.. Enake thonithu. But well... N thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super viji
    I think Evry rider / driver must follow this nd congrats on ur good view abt cyclist

    ReplyDelete
  4. Viju, again very relevant article. I have experience this here in California too. There was a reader's digest joke once that went - I don't like pedestrians when I am driving a car and I don't like car drivers when I am a pedestrian, but either way I don't like bicyclists' - I thought it was written by an unhealthy bigot and couldn't enjoy it. I used to bike 4 miles to work. In very busy intersections I would get down and push my bike. But after carefully looking both ways when I would start biking, a speeding car would come out of nowhere and honk or the driver gives me a stare like he found a goat slowly crossing the road - like I had no business being there, no business interrupting his busyness. Cars drive at much higher speeds here and so for my own dear life's sake , I decided not to bike to work. Of course the bad elements passing comments and acting weird thing doesn't happen here, thankfully. That is such a terrible terrible annoyance. It has to stop and like you said someone needs to punch every single idiot that stares, says dirty things or behaves inappropriately. Please be careful for your own sake and don't take panga with morons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow there too? I thought there would be a lot of cyclists ther n they would be given respect. Anyway haha dont worry i am being careful :)

      Delete
  5. I Dont know if its true...but I heard Coimbatore is gonna have a separate lane for cyclists... Hope that comes soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well written viju!! I wholly agree to this and do u think we can in anyway change their perspective towards road safety and rules....no....if yes, then long way to go...u walk on the road at ur own risk...u ride or drive at ur own risk.....so ride safe as the perverts on the road are here to stay.

    ReplyDelete